In the year 2015-16, the following services were provided by the Math and the Mission in rural and tribal areas:
Medical Services: In the year under review, the Math and Mission had the following medical units in rural and tribal areas:
Moreover, 328 units of blood were also collected from voluntary blood donors through 4 camps.
Educational Services: In the year under review, the Math and Mission had the following educational institutions in rural and tribal areas:
Details of various vocational courses conducted are given below:
Important developments in the rural development activities of the Ramakrishna Math and Ramakrishna Mission during the year 2015-16:
- Jayrambati centre: Two looms were installed for the self-employment of women. A 300-ft concretized public road with drain was constructed. Apiculture training was given and 5 bee-keeping boxes were gifted to women at Karakberia village.
- Narainpur centre:
- Held a kisan mela (farmers’ fair) which was visited by more than 7000 farmers.
- Constructed a pond and a waste drain.
- 10 Anganwadis were converted to one-teacher pre-basic school (Ekal Vidyalaya).
- Narendrapur centre:
- Pranimitra training was given to 218 women.
- Initiated a Green College at Santuri and Ayodhya hill of Purulia district covering 12 courses focusing on various issues of Green Sector. 27 tribal youths were trained on Integrated Farming and Fruit Processing.
- Purulia Vidyapith:
- Installed 11 tube-wells in 8 villages.
- Conducted 6 agricultural camps.
- Ranchi Morabadi centre:
- Under IWMP (Integrated Watershed Management programme), which is being implemented in Angara Block of Ranchi district, land leveling of 41.27 ha of land and farm bunding of 60.23 ha of land were carried out. 7 recharge tanks, 27 percolation tanks, 1 gravity irrigation system and 2 bora-bunds were constructed for soil & water conservation and irrigation. Plantation on 2 ha land was carried out.
- Adopted Nawagarh Gram Panchayat along with two adjacent villages of Angara Block in Ranchi District to develop it into a Model Tribal Gram Panchayat. 115 poultry-cum-duck-houses, 22 units of NADEP compost tanks, 16 units of Azolla tanks were constructed. Also training and awareness programmes were conducted for farmers to adopt themselves with changing climate.
- Sargachhi centre:
- Constructed a Greenhouse (Poly house) and a Seed net house for demonstration and production of high-value crops.
- Conducted a long-term vocational training programme on Horticulture for farmers.
- Various seminars were organized on spices cultivation, coconuts and nursery management.
- Silchar centre started a tailoring training centre for women at village Maynagarh in Cachar district.
- Ponnampet centre built three community toilets, dug a well and repaired a well in the tribal village Halligattu benefiting 108 families.
The centres in Aalo, Agartala, Antpur, Bankura, Chapra, Cherrapunjee, Coimbatore (Mission), Hatamuniguda, Ichapur, Jayrambati, Kamarpukur, Kalady, Malliankaranai (Tamil Nadu), Manasadwip (West Bengal), Mysuru, Naora (West Bengal), Narainpur (Chhattisgarh), Narottam Nagar, Nattarampalli, Ramharipur, Sargachhi, Sarisha, Shivanahalli (Bengaluru), Thrissur, etc, directly catered to the needs of rural and tribal folk in a big way, and a number of rural units were run by the centres at Belur (Saradapitha), Contai, Narendrapur, Ranchi (Morabadi), etc.
Special mention may be made of the numerous village units started for educating the hill tribes in Meghalaya, various village development programmes conducted by Narendrapur (Kolkata) centre catering the needs for all-round village development, as well as the agricultural training and development centre in Ranchi, specially meant for people belonging to the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes.
The tribal development project of our centre at Narainpur (Abujhmarh, Bastar District) has made a significant contribution towards the all-round development of the local tribes. Our educational, medical and cultural activities in Arunachal Pradesh have proved to be very useful and popular.