The authorities of the Sri Ramakrishna Seva Samity, Dibrugarh, officially handed over the registration documents and papers to Swami Suvirananda ji, General Secretary, in a function on 20 May 2018. The Ashrama is already functioning as a branch centre of Ramakrishna Mission, Belur Math, since 17 February 2018, the auspicious day of Sri Sri Thakur’s Tithipuja, when the registration was done.
The Seva Samity was functioning as a private centre since its foundation in 1928 by a group of earnest devotees inspired by the message of Sri Ramakrishna and Swami Vivekananda. The primary aim was to promote the spirit of love, service and sacrifice for the suffering humanity, and help people for the spiritual and moral uplift according to the ideas of the Holy Trio.
The Seva Samity started its services and expanded slowly. A “Night School” for the backward children in 1928, and in 1935 as Lower Primary School in the daytime were started. During the Birth Centenary of Sri Ramakrishna (1936-37) a small shrine for Thakur, Ma and Swamiji and a “Students Home” for the poor were built. An allopathic “Charitable Dispensary” in 1956, a “Library and Reading Room” in 1957, an auditorium in 1961, a kitchen and store house in 1971 were also constructed. A bigger shrine with nat-mandir was completed in its present site in 1986 and a “Nursery School” for kids was started in 2001. The Seva Samity was registered under the Society’s Registration Act, in 1954. Many great dignitaries, like Mahatma Gandhi, Justice Manmatha Mukherjee and reputed monks of the Ramakrishna Order including Swamis Visuddhanandaji, Vireswaranandaji, Gambhiranandaji and Bhuteshanandaji Maharaj had sanctified this Ashrama on various occasions. Most of the Presidents and Vice Presidents of our Order visited the Ashrama and blessed numerous devotees with mantra diksha.