Important developments in the activities of the Ramakrishna Mission are given below under the following headings: (i) Educational Field, (ii) Medical Field, (iii) Rural Development Field, (iv) New Buildings and Installations, and (v) Community Welfare Programmes.
(i) Educational Field:
- Renovated the higher secondary school building.
- Started robotics classes in the higher secondary school.
- Started a computer lab with 50 computers.
- Purchased eight school buses.
- Installed a 250 kVA transformer.
Chennai Students’ Home:
- Distributed 630 tablet PCs, with necessary software installed, to the students of its residential high school and polytechnic college, thus enabling them to attend classes online in the wake of the Covid-19 pandemic.
- Installed new machinery for training students in the workshop of the polytechnic college.
- Upgraded the chemistry laboratory of the polytechnic college.
- Installed an RO plant for providing potable water to the students of its high school.
- Installed a 100 kVA Generator.
- Installed a food waste processing machine.
Coimbatore Mission Vidyalaya:
Swami Vivekananda Cultural and Heritage Centre launched an online programme entitled “Iyal, lsai, Nadagam” with the objective of transmitting to the youth the noble ideals of lndian culture, tradition and spirituality through a variety of programmes.
Gol Park centre:
- Installed four ultraviolet-ray disinfection units in the library for disinfecting books.
- Digitized 2049 old and rare books (dealing with Vedas, Puranas, Visvakosha, etc).
- Added a smart board to the children’s library.
Kozhikode centre started a kindergarten with LKG and UKG sections.
Manasadwip centre added a science laboratory to its high school.
- Upgraded three primary schools to middle school; two middle schools to high schools at its tribal development centres.
- Constructed three girls’ hostels at Akabeda, Kundla & Irakbhatti.
- Constructed a students’ residential shed at Kutul.
- Constructed two staff quarters at Kachhapal.
Purulia Vidyapith started Humanities stream at the higher secondary level.
RKMVERI (Deemed to be University), Belur:
- Under the School of Biological Sciences, a Department of Medical Biotechnology was started in collaboration with Seva Pratisthan at Narendrapur off-campus centre. Sc. in Medical Biotechnology (MdBT) was started under this new department.
- A research unit called JIVAN (Jiva-Vijnan-Anveshana-Niketan) was set up at Seva Pratishthan.
- Added the following laboratory equipment to the Faculty of Integrated Rural Development Management (IRDM) at Narendrapur off-campus centre: Horizontal and Vertical Gel Electrophoresis system, deep freezer, PCR machine, Centrifuge Gel Doc system and UV Trans Illuminator.
- Faculty of General and Adapted Physical Education and Yoga in Coimbatore off-campus centre inaugurated the Vivekananda Cricket Academy.
- Faculty of Agricultural Education and Research (FAR) in Coimbatore off-campus centre added laboratory and field equipment and established Instructional Units – Mushroom shed, Sericulture shed, Composting unit, Azolla production unit, Farm Pond, Polyhouse and Shade net Mist chamber for Plant Nursery.
- Department of Physics in Belur Main campus procured vacuum annealing furnace for preparing materials for research in materials science.
- Faculty of Integrated Rural & Tribal Development and Management (IRTDM) at Ranchi off-campus centre:
- Established Pathology Laboratory, Molecular Biology & Quality Control Laboratory.
- Procured the following equipment for conducting lab-based practicals in agriculture and allied disciplines: Leaf Area Meter, Double Ring Infiltrometer, Seed dressing Drum, Knapsack Sprayer, Tensiometer, Bulk Density Kit and Hygrometer.
- Started three new projects:
- Science, Technology and Innovation Hub for Creating Sustainable Livelihood Opportunities of Scheduled Tribes in Angara Block, Ranchi District, Jharkhand.
- Evaluation of RurBan clusters of Jharkhand and West Bengal.
- Ethnographic Study of three tribes of Jharkhand (Kol, Khond, Gorait).
Rourkela centre introduced Jnana Yatra, a mobile audio-visual unit, for conducting online tutorial classes, motivational camps, values education programmes, orientation programmes and counselling programmes in rural schools.
- Launched a trilingual online magazine in Khasi, English and Hindi languages, entitled ‘Ka Jingshai – The Light’.
- Inaugurated an online learning portal <learn.rkmshillong.org>, which offers classes and courses in computer applications, English language, yoga, values education, personality development and drawing/painting.
Vadodara centre built Vivekananda Education Centre, which has a computer training centre, a reading room for students and free coaching classes for needy students.
Varanasi Home of Service developed a multimedia-based study material for rural primary school children based on the constructivism method.
Vijaywada centre inaugurated:
- A Computer Excellence Hub with 41 computers and multimedia equipment.
- Kalam Innovation Hub with several electronic, mechanical and electrical items, a 3D printer, four computers and a multimedia digital classroom.
(ii) Medical Field:
Itanagar hospital added the following equipment: two dialysis machines, one RO Plant, one bio safety cabinet, one single channel coagulation analyser, two L2 channel Holter recorders & analysers, two lullaby warmers, two syringe pumps and two patient monitors.
- Constructed a new registration counter at OPD.
- Set up a dialysis unit with 5 machines including Diacare Dialyzer Reprocessing System.
- Added the following equipment: one defibrillator, five syringe pumps, an intellivue capnography extension for ETco2 measurement and five ResMed Lumis 150 VPAP ST non-invasive ventilators.
- Installed an oxygen pipeline system in the paediatric ward.
Manasadwip centre constructed a dispensary building and added a new vehicle to its mobile medical service.
- Built consultation rooms at the outpatient department.
- Added a laparoscopy machine and a C-Arm with Image Intensifier.
- Constructed a 50-bed hospital building, installed a 180 kVA solar power system and renovated two hospital buildings.
- Added the following equipment: A Phaco-emulsifier for eye surgery, an ophthalmic operation table, a fully automated haematology analyzer, an automatic electrolyte analyzer, four ENT equipment, a digital visual acuity chart, a Quadriceps exercise table and a chair for the physiotherapy unit, a Brivo SR 115 Mobile X-Ray System, and semi-fowler bed.
- Installed online UPS system and computerized the operations of main departments of the hospital.
- Inaugurated a telemedicine unit.
- Added the following equipment: a non-contact tonometer machine and a H560 hematology analyser machine.
Varanasi Home of Service:
- Installed a sewage treatment plant and an effluent treatment plant.
- Constructed a new mortuary.
- Added the following equipment: A Yag laser, a blood gas analyzer and a cell counter.
- Started rural telemedicine units with psychiatrists, gynaecologists and ENT specialists.
The following centres added medical equipment, mentioned against their names, to their dispensaries / hospitals:
- Kozhikode: A dental chair for the polyclinic.
- Guwahati: An ECG machine.
- New Delhi: An eye microscope with video camera and operation table.
- Salem: A fully automated haematology analyzer unit.
(iii) Rural Development Field:
- Launched a mobile phone app named Vivek Krishi to serve as a handbook of agriculture for farmers.
- Introduced BVSA (Bachelor of Vocational in Sustainable Agriculture) course.
- Introduced DOF (Diploma in Organic Farming) course.
(iv) New Buildings and Installations:
- Jamshedpur centre constructed a three-storied hostel for tribal and underprivileged students.
- Kanpur centre thoroughly renovated its library.
- Manasadwip centre:
- Rebuilt a school-cum-cyclone-relief-shelter at Dhablat village in South 24 Parganas district
- Constructed asbestos roofs of 215 houses.
- Mumbai centre built a kitchen-cum-dining-hall at the Sakwar rural centre.
Important developments in the activities of the Ramakrishna Math are given below under the following headings: (i) Educational Field, (ii) Medical Field, and (iii) New Buildings and Installations.
(i) Educational Field:
- Kalady centre started a computer lab at its high school.
- Mysuru Ashrama:
- Set up an online teaching facility at its coaching centre.
- Set up a lab at its Vidyashala residential school.
- Thrissur centre installed a solar power plant in its school.
(ii) Medical Field:
Pune centre added an x-ray machine to its dental department in the dispensary.
(iii) New Buildings and Installations:
- Ichapur centre built an extension to the monks’ quarters.
- Jamtara centre built kitchen-cum-dining-hall block.
- Koyilandy centre built a multipurpose hall.
- Pune centre inducted a compost microorganism machine for converting garbage into compost.
- Puri Math centre renovated the vocational training centre building.
- Ramanathapuram centre built a multipurpose hall and a dining-hall on its Nagachi campus.