The Ramakrishna Math and the Ramakrishna Mission centres lived up to their reputation in the field of education. Apart from excellent academic performance, the students won laurels in sports and other extracurricular activities. The educational work of the twin organizations is summarized in the following table.
|Institutions||No. of Units||No. of Students|
|University Faculty Centres||5||1,132||554||1,686||571|
|Arts & Science Colleges||6||8,228||65||8,293||4,157|
|Teachers’ Training Institutes||4||299||7||306||166|
|Colleges of Physical Education||1||123||--||123||123|
|Junior Basic Training Institutes||5||427||346||773||362|
|Higher Secondary Schools||33||26,876||11,464||38,340||21,401|
|Junior High / Middle Schools||31||4,093||2,944||7,037||3,606|
|Jr. Basic / U.P./ L.P. Schools||92||11,479||7,067||18,546||10,739|
|Pre-Basic / K.G./ Nursery Schools / Crèches||298||4,829||4,578||9,407||2,757|
|Hostels / Students' Homes||108||18,664||6,451||25,115||9,524|
|Jr. Technical & Industrial Schools||7||1276||--||1276||744|
|Schools of Languages||2||80,220||45,050||1,25,270||3733|
|Computer Training Centres||15||8,063||6,285||14,348||5,680|
|Blind Boys' Academies||1||203||--||203||43|
|Vocational Training Centres||71||18,176||15,160||33,336||18,078|
|Institutes of Agriculture||3||2,848||917||3,765||55|
|Rural Dev. Training Institutes||6||4,804||3,556||8,360||1,278|
|Non-Formal Education Centres||136||4,540||4,315||8,855||4,425|
|Night Schools / Adult Education Centres||7||165||293||458||396|
|National Open School Centres||6||312||339||651||98|
Details of various vocational training provided are given below:
|Vocational Courses||Batches Trained||No. of Students|
|Dairy, Poultry, Duckery, Goatery, Piggery, etc||51||767||602||1179|
|Pisciculture, Aviculture, Apiculture, Sericulture, etc||25||311||88||115|
|Agriculture, Horticulture, Floriculture, etc||56||2,348||1,792||3,855|
|Organic Farming, Vermicomposting, etc||16||239||41||109|
|Farmers' Training & Orientation||24||666||29||652|
|Cutting, Tailoring, Designing, Embroidery, etc||177||100||4,193||1,974|
|Automotive Servicing & Repairing||28||618||--||403|
|Welding, Binding, Fabricating, etc||32||505||--||399|
|Masonry, Plumbing etc||6||122||--||53|
|Carpentry & Joinery, Roofing, Framing, etc||8||65||--||33|
|Domestic Appliance Repairing||3||29||--||2|
|Repairing of Electrical & Electronic appliances||55||1,363||2||586|
|Electrical Wiremanship, Motor Winding, etc||34||586||72||372|
|Physiotherapy / Hospital / Ward/ OT Assistant||8||104||85||83|
|Basic Computer Operations||88||3,137||1,810||2,551|
|Basic Computer Hardware||10||175||27||72|
|Commercial Art & Painting||3||249||245||9|
|Photography & Videography||3||23||3||10|
|Cultural Units / Programmes||No. of Units / Programmes||No. of Participants / Delegates|
|Cultural Units (Balak Sangha, Jnana Vahini, etc)||264||31,001|
|Personality Development, etc||362||85,857|
|Yoga, Meditation, etc||385||43,295|
|Camps for Children (including those during vacations)||220||24,022|
|Values Education Programmes||1,184||1,38,269|
|Workshops, Symposiums, Seminars :|
|Medical Field (e.g. CME etc)||88||5,559|
|Educational Field (Science, Literature, etc)||24||3,997|
|Other General Fields||203||16,907|
The total expenditure incurred for educational work in 2015-16 was Rs. 308.03 crore.
Important developments in the educational activities of the Ramakrishna Mission during the year 2015-16:
- A free coaching centre for 300 underprivileged children was started at Asansol
- In Coimbatore Mission centre:
- As a part of Pradhan Mantri Kaushal Vikas Yojana (PMKVY) Scheme of National Skill Development Corporation, three short-term add-on courses were started for the third-year students at the College of Arts and Science.
- Bachelor of Vocational Degree courses were commenced in the College of Arts and Science under DDU KAUSHAL (Deen Dayal Upadhyay Centres for Knowledge Acquisition and Up-gradation of Skilled Human Abilities and Livelihood) Scheme.
- ‘IJAPEY’ (International Journal of Adapted Physical Education and Yoga), a monthly online journal, and an upgraded version of the present bi-annual journal of GAPEY, RKMVU, Coimbatore Campus, were launched.
- Braillo 650 SW Braille Printer was installed.
- In Narendrapur centre:
- The University of Calcutta granted permission to start Vivekananda Centre for Research at the Residential College which will conduct M.Phil / Ph.D courses.
- A digital library was inaugurated in the Vidyalaya.
- The Light Engineering Training Course and Computer Training Course of Higher Secondary Section of Blind Boys’ Academy have received Centre Based Vocational Training Certification.
- Puri Mission centre started a computer training centre.
- Rahara centre:
- Added the following machinery and equipment in ITI:
- Electrician Trade: 6 Motors sets, 1 Drill machine, 2 Grinding machines, Electrical measuring instruments, 3 Digital kits, one 7.5 KVA Generator set.
- Turner Trade: 8 Lathe machines, 8 Grinding machines, a power saw, a CNC Machine, a Drill machine.
- Welder Trade: 3 MIG / MAG welding machines, a TIG welding machine, a Spot Welding machine, a Grinding machine, a Plasma cutting machine, a Power saw.
- 15 computers and 3 projectors.
- Vivekananda Centenary College:
- The newly established ‘Swami Vivekananda Centre for Multi-disciplinary Research in Basic Science & Social Sciences’ started to function.
- A six-month certificate course in communicative English was started.
- Added the following machinery and equipment in ITI:
- Ranchi Morabadi centre started Secondary and Senior Secondary courses of National Institute of Open Schooling (NIOS).
Important developments in the educational activities of the Ramakrishna Math during the year 2015-16:
- Bagda centre conducted vocational training in tailoring, repairing of two-wheelers and computer applications.
- The newly constructed vocational-training-cum-production centre of Baghbazar Math located at Pranakrishna Mukherjee Lane, Kolkata, was inaugurated.
- A holographic film on India’s cultural history was released at Vivekanandar Illam (Vivekananda House) of Chennai
- Kochi Math launched a mobile bookstall.
- Gadadhar Ashrama, Kolkata, started a computer training centre and a free coaching centre.